College Football

Saturday, April 1, 2017

Why I'm pulling for South Carolina (and why you should be too)

By: Joe Smeltzer
Photo creds to thestate.com

It's been almost 11 years since my cousin Ryan Stewart enrolled at Vanderbilt University. Before Ryan arrived in Nashville, I barely knew anything about the school. Of course, I was eight years old, so I knew petite about most things, but sports (shocker) were a strength of mine back then, and I knew a lot about most college football and basketball programs. Vanderbilt, however, was a school that I did not know well. I remember the Commodores women's team coming to Pittsburgh to take on Duquesne, and that's about it. As soon as Ryan arrived on that campus, I took an interest in Vandy, particularly in their men's basketball program.

Seven years later, Ryan's sister, Erin, enrolled at the University of South Carolina, another SEC school. I'm not sure why, but my cousin's move to Columbia did not add any intrigue to the school for me. It wasn't that I didn't like South Carolina, as I had respect for Steve Spurrier and the football program. It wasn't because I have a preference as far as my cousins go, although if I were speaking with Erin right now, I most definitely would say that in harmless fun. Maybe it was because I was seven years older and a changed man, but whatever the case, I was not that interested in the University of South Carolina, especially it's basketball program.

In case you haven't been watching the NCAA tournament, which I'm assuming you have been, given the fact that you are taking the time to read this piece, South Carolina is not known for its basketball prowess. I would go deep into numbers to prove my point, but I don't feel it's necessary (again, there is a reason you are reading this article.) But this March, the tables have turned, and I am on the bandwagon.

It's not just because of the connection with my cousin. Sure, I have had my cousin in mind throughout this tournament run. But aside from family connections, here are the three biggest reasons for basketball fans who don't root for Gonzaga, Oregon or North Carolina to be all in for the Gamecocks.


#1: It's an underdog story

The most cliche reason, and the most obvious as well. Although 75% of the Final Four has never been there (no, Oregon's appearance in 1939 does not count), I would argue that South Carolina is the only real "underdog story" remaining. Yes, Gonzaga has surprised people by making it this far. But they have made 19 consecutive tournament appearances, and probably will make 19 more, so the Bulldogs and March do go together. Yes, Oregon is making their first semifinal appearance since before Perl Harbor (if you really feel like counting that) but the Ducks won the PAC 12, so how much of a "surprise" are they compared to these Gamecocks?

Not only is South Carolina a seven seed, which alone would make it the best feel-good story remaining, but it also has won more tournament games in the past two weeks than it had in their entire history before that. Pretty awesome right? So while Oregon and Gonzaga have defied a lot of expectations this March, they ain't got nothing on USC.


#2: The way they play basketball             

For people who have not yet watched a lot of the Gamecocks, it is still easy to tell that this team is likable based on the numbers. But what those numbers don't always show is the way that this team plays the game. USC is disciplined, they are tenacious, and they dominate in the paint. You can ask Mike White and Florida about all of those things, as the Gamecocks domination of the offensive glass was the key to their victory in the Elite 8 this past Sunday. Sindarius Thornwell may have gone through the regular season as college basketball's greatest hidden gem, and now is putting his talents on display.

P.J. Dozier is a 6-6 guard who is just a Sophomore and will look to lead the Gamecocks for the future. Rakym Felder is a little 5-10 freshman who makes big plays. Malik Kotsar is a 6'10 freshman from Estonia who played a huge role in that Florida game. South Carolina is deep, experienced, and it's tough play is a product of it's general.
#3: Frank Martin 

I remember attending the first two rounds of the 2012 NCAA tournament at what was then Consol Energy Center. It just so happened that the Kansas State Wildcats were one of the teams privileged enough to come to Pittsburgh. Although KSU did not make it past the first weekend, I got to see first hand how brilliant it's head coach, Frank Martin, was. He looked intimating- like, drill sergeant level. But he knew what he was doing, and his Wildcats teams consistently made it to the dance.

It turns out that I was in attendance for Martin's last game at Kansas State, as he would take the South Carolina job less than a month later. In five years, Martin has turned one of college basketball's more obscure major conference programs into a Final Four participant. That is amazing, but it is far from the only thing to like about Frank Martin.


Watch how he answers this kids question. Read this quote about "kids these days." Most importantly, read this article that tells of how unlikely his story is. Frank Martin is the man, and he makes the already likable Cocks that much easier to root for.

So, if you are not committed to one of these four teams for the long hull, but still want to cheer for Gonzaga, Oregon or even mighty UNC, then that is acceptable. But I know that I'm pulling for the team with the underdog backstory, brilliant head coach, and that might never be in this situation again. Go Cocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment