College Football

Sunday, October 1, 2017

NFL Week 4 preview/predictions

Credit to Bradley W. Stewart for the graphic


By: Joe Smeltzer Hello all. The boys are back for another week of NFL picks. So far, my cousin Jeff leads the pack at 22-10, while I, Joseph Arthur Smeltzer, am 19-13. Will I catch up to him and retake the lead? Probably. I tend to win a lot, after all. But enough about my family. Let's talk some football.

Will the Bills screw me again?
Buffalo (2-1) at Atlanta (3-0)
Line: ATL -8.0
Photo creds to Sports Illustrated

Two weeks ago, I picked the Bills to upset the Carolina Panthers. That did not work out. Last week, I picked the Denver Broncos to do what they were supposed to do and hand Buffalo its second straight loss. That did not work out. So it seems as if the Bills like to do the opposite of what I expect them to do. This week, however, I expect Buffalo to run into a buzzsaw.

Atlanta may well be the best team in the NFC and has shown why thus far. Buffalo, on the other hand, is an up-and-coming franchise with a lot of question marks, and as well as Tyrod Taylor has played, we still don't know how far the Bills field general can take this team. If Matt Ryan and the Falcons offense can take care of the football better than it did last week at Detroit, where Atlanta turned the ball over three times, this might not even be close.

Falcons 33, Bills 14

We care because of geography
Cincinatti (0-3) at Cleveland (0-3)
Line: Cin -3.0

The only reason that this isn't my "who the hell cares?" game of the week is because both teams are in the AFC North.

Both the Clowns and the Bungles stink, but because the Bengals played tough at Lambeau Field last week and because, well, they aren't the Browns, I'll cautiously take Cincy in this one. Don't expect to see either of these teams playing meaningful games in December, however.

Bungles 24, Clowns 18

Possible upset
LA Rams (2-1) at Dallas (2-1)
Line: Dal -6.5

The matchup to watch in this game will be the Rams offensive line vs. the Cowboys defensive line.

Although Dak Prescott, Ezekiel Elliot and the Cowboys offense get most of the attention, the Cowboys front seven, led by defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence, is extremely talented, and for Jared Goff to have any success, the Rams have to win the battle up front.

Although Dallas doesn't have a good secondary, which could allow for Goff to make some big plays, I think that the Cowboys front will get enough pressure on Goff to not let him have a big day. If Goff and Todd Gurley aren't at their best, the Rams will not win. Because of the Dallas defensive line, I don't think that will happen.

These cities never won a Super Bowl
Detroit (2-1) at Minnesota (2-1)
Line: Min -2.5
Photo creds to National Geographic

The Vikings are growing on me.

Last week, Minnesota's 34-17 win over Tampa Bay caught me off guard. This has the potential to be a solid football team. Detroit, on the other hand, has a lot of problems. I have faith in Case Keenum to exploit a suspect Lions secondary, and in Dalvin Cook to continue to be among the NFL's top rookies.

Vikings 33, Lions 15

Will the Patroits lose?
No.



Jacksonville (2-1) at NYJ (1-2)
Yes, the Jags are 2-1. But does anybody expect them to make a big splash this season? I sure don't. The Jets, on the other hand, are the Jets. Yeah, I am not hyped about this game



Bring back the Oilers
Tennesse (2-1) at Houston (1-2) 
Line: Ten -2.0
Photo creds to the gruling truth

Last week, Minnesota's 34-17 win over Tampa Bay caught me off guard. This has the potential to be a solid football team. Detroit, on the other hand, has a lot of problems. I have faith in Case Keenum to exploit a suspect Lions secondary, and in Dalvin Cook to continue to be among the NFL's top rookies.

I am the only one of our group that's giving the Texans love. Yes, Tennesse is a good football team. But because Houston is at home, and because of how good it looked in Foxborough last Sunday, I have more faith in them than I initially thought. I think DeShaun Watson's breakout is coming soon,  and that day just might be today.
Texans 27, Titans 17

Closer than you think
Philadelphia (2-1) at LA Chargers (0-3)
Line: LAC -2.5
Photo creds to FillmCow.com

Yes, Fletcher Cox is out, and Jordan Hicks is banged up as well. But the Chargers are a team that loves to break their fans hearts. They will do that once again Sunday. The Eagles have a shot to get to the postseason, and I have a gut feeling that they will march towards that goal with a close win on the West Coast, with another Jake Elliot field goal.

Eagles 23, Chargers 20


Game of the Week
Oakland (2-1) at Denver (2-1)
Line: Den -3.0

Although I picked Oakland to win this game, I am a little surprised that four of the five people on our panel did the same. The Raiders are going into a tough environment, playing a good team and coming off an embarrassing performance last week. I think that Oakland has a shot to win the AFC, while the Broncos still have questions to be answered, particularly at quarterback. I think that Trevor Siemian will struggle and this Raiders defense will force a key turnover late in the game to seal the deal. As for the Raiders offense, well, they are pretty good, and Derek Carr will show off.

Oakland 30, Denver 20


Sunday Night
Colts (1-2) at Seahawks (1-2)
Seattle is favored by 13.5 points. That is because the Colts aren't very good. The Seahawks are good, and they are playing at home. Boom.

Seahawks 34, Colts 17

Monday Night
Redskins (2-1) at Chiefs (3-0)
Line: KC -7.0
Yes Washington has looked good this season. But come on now. The Redskins getting a win in a night game at Arrowhead stadium? Not a chance.

Chiefs 35, Redskins 21


Other Games
Saints 33, Dolphins 10
Arizona 34, San Fran 24
New York 20, Tampa Bay 13

No comments:

Post a Comment