College Football

Sunday, October 8, 2017

NFL Week 5 preview/predictions

Graphic Creds to Bradley W. Stewart



By: Joe Smeltzer


Hello, all. It's time for Week 5 of myself, my cousins and David Rutz giving you our NFL picks. Jeffery Stewart is currently in the lead at 32-16. But I vow to make a run. Hopefully, this week will be the start of the comeback. Everybody is undefeated this week thanks to Tom Terrific. Now, the real tests of Week 5 begin.

1:00
Jets (2-2) at Browns (0-4)



The Cleveland Browns, who are 0-4 on the year, 1-19 in their last 20 games, 11-41 since 2014 and coming off a 24-point loss at home a team that came in at 0-3, are favored to win a football game. What does that tell you about the New York Jets? Blah.




Bills fans, rejoice

Bills (3-1) at Bengals (1-3)
Line: Cin -3.0
For the past three weeks, the Buffalo Bills have done the opposite of what I picked them to do.

On the surface, this seems like a decent setup for the Bengals. Cincy has played well the past two weeks and is favored to beat a still unproven Buffalo team at home. As much as I want the Bills to do well, I still expect them to fall off as the year goes on. My heart tells me that Cincy will beat an ordinary Buffalo team. My heart says that the Bills will prove me wrong again. I'll go with my head, only because I want the Bills to do well.

Bengals 24, Bills 14


Battle of the Cats

Panthers (3-1) at Lions (3-1)
Line: Det -2.5
The Panthers are a hard team to get a handle on. They've played well this season, and deserve to be 3-1. At the same time, the Cam Newton era has seen one great ride, and not a whole lot else. So I am always skeptical of Carolina.
Detroit has a lot of things going for it. The Lions are playing at home; they have an above average offense and one of the best field-generals in the NFL. There are two matchups in particular that I think will have a huge impact on this matchup.

Det WR Golden Tate vs. Car CB Captain Munnerlyn 
Tate is having a quietly good season, while Munnerlyn has not done well covering slot receivers. If Tate has a big day- which he hasn't yet, the Panthers will be in trouble.

Det G TJ Lang vs. DL Kawann Short
These men are two of the best in the NFL at their positions. If Lang can limit Short, that will limit the Panthers best defensive lineman. This matchup favors Carolina more than Munnerlyn vs. Tate, but if Lang does well than the Lions have a high chance of success.

I think that this will be a close game. If Golden Tate goes off, which I think he will, then the Lions will win.

Lions 31, Panthers 20

Surprisingly compelling 
Giants (0-4) at Chargers (0-4)
Line: NYG -3.0

On the surface, this looks like a slam dunk for "who the hell cares?" But this is one of those games where, despite neither team being good, it could still make for exciting football.
Neither one of these teams is as bad as its record would indicate. The Chargers could easily be 3-1, while the Giants were expected by many to win the NFC East and still could make a run, as the division is up in the air. I think that LA will again be competitive, but this Giants team is too talented to start 0-5. Expect the Giants to win, and expect Odell Beckham Jr. to be obnoxious.

Giants 24, Chargers 21

Cardinals (2-2) at Eagles (3-1)
Line: PHI -6.5


Yes, Fletcher Cox is injured. Yes, the Cardinals historically get the best of Philly. But I have a feeling about this Eagles team.
Philly might not be a threat to go to the Super Bowl just yet. But I don't think it would be a stretch to say that the Eagles could win the NFC East.
Philly is first in the division, and its defense is the main reason why. Even without Cox, I expect the Eagles D to have a big afternoon, with Brandon Graham being a big reason why. Grahm is a stud at defensive end, and he could have a favorable matchup going up against Cardinals tackle Jared Valdheer, who has struggled this season. If the Eagles make a few big plays on defense and get some takeaways, they will win the game. Grahm could well be a cause of some of those moments.

Eagles 22, Cards 14


I'm going to this game
Jaguars (2-2) at Steelers (3-1)
Line: Pit -7.5
Yes, the Steelers are known to play down to their competition. But come on now. The Jags haven't proven anything yet, and if Blake Bortles leads Jacksonville to a win in Heinz Field with yours truly in attendance, I will eat my hat.

Steelers 34, Jags 14

4:05

Teams that aren't as good as we thought they'd be
Ravens (2-2) at Raiders (2-2) 
Line: Oak -3.0
Yes, Derek Carr is hurt. But the Baltimore Ravens have been so horrendous the past two weeks that I'd have a hard time picking them against anybody. E.J. Manuel has done a serviceable job filling in for Carr, and I think that this game is in the Black Hole, as well as Manuel's solid QB performance will lead to more misery for the Dirty Birds.

4:25
Will the Cowboys break the cycle? 
Packers (3-1) at Cowboys (2-2)
Line: Dal -3.0
The Packers have so often gotten the best of Dallas in the past 50 years, and Sunday won't be any different. Two of Dallas' best players, linebacker Sean Lee and offensive tackle Tyron Smith are doubtful, and that does not bode well for Americas Team. Losing Lee, in particular, would be devastating, as the Cowboys defense has enough problems as it is. If a Jared Goff-led offense can put up 412 yards against Dallas, imagine what Aaron Rodgers can do.

Packers 38, Cowboys 28

Sunday Night
Chiefs (4-0) at Texans (2-2)
Line: KC -1.0
I don't know why my comrades keep doubting DeShaun Watson. I was the only one who picked Houston to take down Tennesse, which they did, 57-14. Now, I am the only one giving them a shot against Kansas City. The Texans are playing at home with a hot offense, against a KC team that struggled with the banged-up Redskins last week. Houston, we have a solution.

Texans 34, Chiefs 20

Monday Night
Vikings (2-2) at Bears (1-3) 

Neither one of these teams are making the playoffs, but my gut tells me that Mitchell Turbisky gets the W in his debut. I was high on this guy in college, and unlike most, was high on him in the draft. I'm sure the UNC product will make it a point to not make Joseph Arthur Smeltzer look like a fool.

Bears 24, Vikings 13. 



Other games
Colts over 49ers
Titants over Dolphins
Rams over Seahawks 

No comments:

Post a Comment