College Football

Saturday, December 31, 2016

College Football Playoff Preview/Predictions



By: Joe Smeltzer
Hello, all. It's New Year's Eve, which, for some reason, means that it's playoff time. College Football's grandest stage is upon us, and here's what we think will go down.

3:00
Da Peach Bowl 
#4 Washington (12-1) at. #1 Alabama (13-0)



Photo creds to Scout.com
I love Washington. I do. I believe they are the real deal. However, they happen to be running into the world's sharpest buzzsaw; "Jolly Ole St. Nicholas" himself. Alabama is the best amateur football team in the world, and that is a universal agreement at this point. Expect Jake Browning and John Ross (best QB-Wide Receiver duo in College Football, BTW) to keep the Huskies in it for the first 30 minutes. As for the next 30, well, the Tide gonna do what the Tide gonna do.
Alabama 42, Washington 20

7:00
Da Fiesta Bowl 
#3 Ohio State (11-1) at #2 Clemson (12-1) 
Photo creds to ScottManning's Blog


By far the most intriguing of the two games. The matchup to watch in this one will be Ohio State's Secondary vs. Clemson's Receivers. Whoever wins that battle, in my opinion, will win the football game, and my gut tells me that Mike Williams, Hunter Renfrow and the rest of the Clemson receivers will get the best of Malik Hooker and the vaunted Buckeyes secondary. The Tigers offense is a powdered keg, and nobody has been able to stop them in quite some time. It is true that Watson has thrown 15 interceptions this season, and that Ohio State loves the takeaway. However, I don't see the young, inconsistent Buckeye attack doing too a whole lot of damage, as Christian Wilkins will pummel J.T. Barrett at least once. Watson might throw a pick or two, but when the going gets tough, Brent Venables defense will hold true. I'm expecting a close, fairly offensive friendly game, with both defenses holding their own. However, in the end, the will of DeShaun Watson will get the Tigers back to the national title game. This is a battle of Experience vs. Youth, and I think the young bucks will fall to the determined Tigers. The bad news for Clemson? They will have to play Alabama again.

Clemson 31, Ohio State 26. 

Ryan and Brad are both Ohio State Buckeye die-hards, and they have the Buckeyes beating Clemson, which is fair enough. But Brad, the creator of our graphics, went as far as to have the young Buckeyes knock off Alabama in the title game. As much as I love the Big 10, I reckon that won't happen. Alabama is going to skate off with their 5th national title, and when they beat Washington, I will write all about that in my 3rd annual national title preview. It's gonna be awesome. I'm Joe Smeltzer. Thanks for reading, and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment