College Football

Friday, January 1, 2016

Penn State-Georgia: Does it really matter?

I'm 
James Franklin's seat will not be heating up regardless of the outcome. Photo Creds to Philly.Com


I am a die-hard Penn State football fan. Penn State is playing in their bowl game tomorrow against the 9-3 Georgia Bulldogs. You would not be blamed for thinking that Joseph Arthur Smeltzer would be excited about this. However, you would be wrong.

Penn State finished the 2015 regular season with a record of 7-5. They aren't a 7-5 team that had several hard luck losses and were better than their record showed. No, the Nittany Lions were a 7-5 team that is the epitome of a 7-5 team. In other words, they are painfully average. In four of Penn State's losses, they were dominated. In their other loss, they blew the game against an OK Northwestern team. 

Now one could argue that a victory over the 9-3 Georgia Bulldogs would salvage this season somewhat by ending on a high-note. However, the Nittany Lions have ended on a high the past three seasons, and none of those wins have led to the program elevating. When Penn State defeated Wisconsin in their regular season finale during the bowl ban years of 2012 and 13, I thought it was a sign of glory ahead. But those wins lead to mediocrity. When Penn State defeated Boston College in the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium last December, I thought it was a sign that Christian Hackenberg was ready to become a star in his Junior season. But all that win led to was more frustrating play-calling from John Donovon (his reign of terror is over, praise God). So, if Penn State pulls the upset tomorrow, will it be a sign of things to come? History says no. If Penn State gets blown out of Everbank Field tomorrow, will it matter? I don't think it will. The season has seen enough embarrassment already.

For any Penn State fan who is excited about tomorrow's Bowl Game, I can understand why. However, I do not share in your excitement. For any Penn State fan who is dreading tomorrow's game, I can understand why. However, I do not share in your dread. I am indifferent (I expect Georgia to win by 10, for the record).

As with every game, I hope Penn State wins tomorrow. I will be pleased with a win, but not to the point where I am overly excited about 2016. The past few seasons have taught me to believe that Penn State is taking the steps to being an elite program when they show me something. Until I see Penn State's name in the top 15, until James Franklin beats a ranked opponent, until new offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead unveils a fast paced Spread Offense that doesn't shackle Chirs Godwin, DaeSean Hamilton, and Christian Hackenberg if he does return (and the offensive line proves that they won't screw it up), I am not getting my hopes up. I look forward to the first game of 2016 regardless of the outcome of the prestigious Taxslayer Bowl.

One last word, since I did not have time to do an entry on hiring Moorhead as offensive coordinator, it's perfect. He did a stellar job as the head coach of Fordham (they looked better against Army than we did), and I'm anxious to see what changes he will make to Penn State's playcalling. I mean, he can't be any worse than he who proceeded him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment