College Football

Saturday, September 19, 2015

NFL Week 2 Predictions

 
Week 2 of the NFL Season is upon us, and my cousins and I are back for some more picks. Last week, all 4 of us did an average job with our picks, as evident by our records shown in the picture above. Hopefully, Joseph Arthur Smeltzer will be more accurate in his predictions this week and prove to all you readers that he is smarter than Brad, Jeff, and Ryan. I am already off to a good start, as Jeff and I both picked the Broncos to defeat the Chiefs on Thursday night, while Brad and Ryan have both started out 0-1, as they picked the Chiefs.

Sunday
Most Intriguing Match-up 
1:00
Patriots(1-0) at Bills(1-0)
This game will be very close. The Buffalo Bills are tough, as proven by their Week 1 trouncing of the Colts, and I chose this as the most intriguing match-up of Week 1 because it will be a measuring stick for Buffalo. However, I see the Pats coming out victorious. I expect the Bills defense to make life tough for Tom Brady, but I think that pick #199 will show his mental toughness yet again and possibly even pull out one of his famous game winning drives in the final 2 minutes. Out of the 4 of us, only Brad sees Buffalo being victorious, stating that he ''believes that the Bills have the ''us against the world'' mentality, even more than the Patriots.'' I respectfully disagree with Brad, as I expect the Patriots to pull out a tight win and have the city of Buffalo feeling deflated.


Texans(0-1) at Panthers(1-0)
I am the only one in my group who has Carolina winning this one. The Texans looked extremely over matched in their 27-20 loss to the Chiefs(which was not as close as the score would indicate), and although Carolina didn't turn heads in their 20-9 win over the Jags, I still see them as a very dangerous football team because of their tricky offense and stout defense. Playing at home will also give Carolina an advantage. The combination of Cam Newton and Jonathon Stewart will be effective, and the Carolina defense will limit Houston's offensive attack.

Titans(1-0) at Browns(0-1)
The 4 horsemen are split here,as Ryan and Jeff have the Titans, while Brad and I have the Browns. I see Cleveland prevailing in the ''battle of the towns that rock''.  Last weeks loss to the Jets was as bad as it gets, and I really can't see Cleveland laying another egg to a bad team, especially in their home opener. The Titans are flying high after their trouncing of the Bucs last week, and I think they will come back to earth. The Browns defense is an underrated unit, and I think that Marcus Mariota will be flustered as this will be the first good NFL defense that he has ever seen. Johnny Manziel is due for a breakout performance. The controversial former Texas Aggie has shown several flashes of brillance in his short career, and I think that this is a good week for him to put it all together against a defense that is still adjusting to Dick Lebau's strategy. Jeff disagrees with me, stating ''Johnny Manziel is starting, nuff said.''

Cardinals(1-0) at Bears(0-1)
All 4 of us are united here, and for good reason. Arizona was a Superbowl contender last season until Carson Palmer blew out his knee. Palmer is back, and the Cards are ready to roll, with a defense that can compete with just about any in the NFL. Meanwhile, Chicago is looking at the possibility of a Top 5 draft pick for 2016.

Chargers(1-0) at Bengals(1-0)
Phillip Rivers has been a reliable NFL QB for years. However, he is know to be somewhat inconsistent. I think that this will be one of those games where Rivers gets flustered. The Bengals defense is solid as it often is under Marvin Lewis, and the Tigers are also playing at home, where they have been successful over the past few years. I see a low scoring affair, with Andy Dalton making a few key plays to back up a solid defensive effort.

Lions(0-1) at Vikings(0-1)
All 4 of us in agreement here. More so because the Vikings are bad than that the Lions are good. I think Brad was accurate when he stated;"until Adrian Peterson is back, the Vikings will struggle.''

''Who the Hell Cares'' game of the week

Buccaneers(0-1) at Saints(0-1)
Read everything I wrote in my NFL Week 1 review about the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and it will be easy to see why I think the Saints will win this game. Not that I care.



Falcons(1-0) at Giants(0-1)
I am the lone ranger out of my group in picking New York. The Giants outplayed Dallas for most of the game in Week 1 despite coming up short, and I think that they will play inspired in their home opener. I just have a gut feeling that New York will prevail, as their defense will limit Matt Ryan and Julio Jones. Jeff begs to differ, saying that; ''The Giants will struggle after a close game last week, while Jones will shine.'' While I can see Jeff's point of view, my gut suggests otherwise.

49ers(0-1) at Steelers(0-1)
The horseman are split. Ryan and I see the Steelers bouncing back, while Brad and Jeff see the city going up into flames. I think the Steelers will get it done on Sunday. Frankly, they don't have much of a choice. The team will be well motivated as they are coming home for the first time in the 2015 campaign after a tough loss to New England in Week 1, and the offense will be able to capitalize, even without some of their biggest guns. Colin Kapernick is no Tom Brady, and as a result I see the Steelers defense performing better than that dreadful display in Massachusetts. Heinz Field will be rocking and the Steelers know how to feed off of their fans. Jeff stated; ''This will be a good game but Kapernick will be dominant like he was during their Super Bowl run.'' I think Jeff is just wrong.

This pretty much sums it up
Rams(1-0) at Redskins(0-1)
Not a whole lot to say about this one. The Redskins are a mess, while the Rams could be a team to watch if their 34-31 win over the Seahawks in Week 1 is any indication. St. Louis will win somewhat convincingly.


4:05 
Ravens(0-1) at Raiders(0-1)
Another one that seems easy to predict. Oakland is still rebuilding, while the Ravens are still a force in the AFC. Although the birds fell short against Denver in Week 1, holding Peyton Manning to just 19 points at home is impressive, and it shows that this defense is still a force after all of these years. Oakland is not ready to win yet, and they will not win on Sunday.

Dolphins(1-0) at Jags(0-1)
This game might be close. Although the Jags remain unimpressive and the Dolphins have been predicted by some to win the AFC East, Miami did not open any eyes Week 1 in their 17-10 win over the lowly Redskins. Brad says; ''This Miami defense is just too much for Blake Bortles.'' I second that.

4:25
Cowboys(0-1) at Eagles(0-1)
In what is becoming a pattern, the horsemen ride together. The Cowboys were extremely lucky to avoid what would have been an embarrassing defeat in front of their home fans at the hands of the New York Giants last Sunday night. If that wasn't enough cause for concern, the announcement after the game that Dez Bryant would be out for a least 6 weeks with a broken foot certainly was for Big D. Bryant is one of the leagues best play-makers, and Dallas will miss him tremendously. To add to that, the Eagles have an offense that has several play-makers, and can score a great deal playing in Chip Kelly's system. The Dallas defense is not top notch, and I do not think that they will be able to stop the Eagles from flying high in Week 2.


Seahawks(0-1) at Packers(1-0)
This will be a close game, and with 2 teams that are this evenly matched, it really comes down to who is playing at home. Both Seattle and Green Bay have 2 of the best home field advantages in the NFL, and Green Bay is blessed enough to be the home team on Sunday Night. I can't see Aaron Rodgers letting his home fans down as his history at Lambeau Field is excellent. Brad summed it up by saying; ''Green Bay wants revenge''.

Jets(1-0) at Colts(0-1)
Come on. You don't really expect the Jets to start out 2-0, do you?

I hope you enjoyed the read. Which picks to you agree with? Comment below and don't forget to add me on Google plus.




No comments:

Post a Comment