College Football

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Elite 8: Review of Saturday's games/ Preidctions for Sundays games.

Hello again. I had started writing my review of the Sweet 16, but things happened and I ended up not finishing it. So, I am back with my review of the Elite 8 so far. 2 games took place on Saturday, so I will discuss them and also predict what will happen in Sundays games. Let's get into it.


#1 Florida ended Dayton's magical run by defeating the Flyers, 62-52. Scottie Wilbekin lead the Gators with 23 points, while Dayshawn Pierre had 18 for the Flyers. It was a great run for the Flyers, and they have nothing to be ashamed of. They just ran into a better team.


Now, lets get to the game that really has people talking. #2 Wisconsin defeated #1 Arizona by a score of 64-63 in Overtime. It was back and forth the whole way through, with neither team gaining a big sizeable advantage at any point in the game. The Badgers finally prevailed in overtime. The last 3 seconds of the game were hectic. Johnson was called for an offensive foul with 3.5 seconds remaining and the Wildcats down by 1. I think that the officials should have let it go in that situation, although I have never been an official, and I may have done the same thing if I only had that much time to make a call. It is no lock that Zona would have won the game, and that was not the only play that took place, so no credit should be taken away from Wisconsin. The game was not over yet, however as Arizona would get the ball back after the ball went apparently went off of the hands of a Wisconsin player. I did not think that there was enough evidence to overturn the call, but either way, I hate... HATE the length of these reviews in basketball games, as this play was reviewed for what felt like forever. I understand how important the some calls are, but there was once a time when officials did not feel the need to go to the monitor whenever a close call needed to be made, or deciding if a foul is flagrant or not( which also happened in this game, go figure) was not thought of as necessary. Did that make March Maddens any less exciting, I think not. I could go on for hours about this, but lets move on. Aaron Gordon would then miss a potential game winner, and Wisconsin punch their ticket to the Final Four. If I was Sean Miller, I would have tried to get the ball to a big man in the post, instead of drawing up a play to take a jump shot. Arizona was scoring inside a lot all game long, so it might have worked. Frank Kaminsky lead the Badgers with 28 points and 11 rebounds, while Nick Johnson lead the Wildcats with 16 points.


On Sunday, #7 UConn will face #4 Michigan State,  #2 Michigan will face #8 Kentucky. UConn and UK were not expected to be here, but that is what's great about sports. My predictions? Kentucky is finally playing like they were expected to when the season started in November, and I believe they will pull off the upset here. Michigan did not impress me against Tennessee, and UK is hot. Julies Randal and company will get the Cats to their 3rd Final Four in the past 4 years. Michigan State will prevail as well in my opinion. They are playing great, and Tom Izzo is hard to bet against in these types of games.




That's all I've got to say about that. Thanks for Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment